Care and support in the Netherlands

Regelhulp is a digital Dutch government guide for everyone who is looking for care or support. On this page, you will find a list of English-language websites giving information about care, welfare, raising children, growing up, and social security in the Netherlands.

The Dutch healthcare system

The Dutch healthcare system is governed by four basic healthcare-related acts: the Health
Insurance Act (Zorgverzekeringswet), the Long-Term Care Act (Wet langdurige zorg), the Social
Support Act (Wet maatschappelijke ondersteuning) and the Youth Act (Jeugdwet).

If you want to know more about the various Dutch schemes, go to, where you can download extensive information about the Dutch healthcare system.

Dutch health insurance

Every person who lives or works in the Netherlands is legally obliged to take out standard health insurance to cover the cost of, for example, consulting a general practitioner, hospital treatment and prescription medication. provides a summary of the key facts about Dutch health insurance.

Treatment in the Netherlands

Do you want to come to the Netherlands for treatment and are you insured in another EU country? You can find more information on this matter on the website of the Netherlands National Contact Point (NCP) for cross-border healthcare. On this website you’ll find for example information about how healthcare in the Netherlands is organized. Or about which hospitals are available to you and which doctors you can approach. And also about what you need to do to get the costs reimbursed.

Youth care

Children in the Netherlands must be able to grow up safely and in good health. Parents and carers are primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of their children. Sometimes, however, their circumstances are such that they need help with this. provides an overview of institutions that can offer help.

Mental health services

The Dutch government wants people with psychological problems to get the right kind of help through their GP or a general or specialised mental health care institution (GGZ). On, you can read more about help with psychological problems and who can provide it. 


Do you live in the Netherlands and do you have healthcare insurance, a rented house or children? In that case, you may be entitled to a contribution towards the costs. Such contribution is called a benefit. On you can read how this works.

Working in the Netherlands

Do you intend to come and work in the Netherlands? Then UWV (Employee Insurance Schemes Implementing Body) can help you. On the website of UWV, you will find useful information about what needs to be arranged in order to work in the Netherlands, which requirements you have to fulfil and how you can best prepare yourself.

Calling Regelhulp from abroad

From abroad you can call +31 88 711 4000. Ask if you can be connected to Regelhulp.

You can reach us on Monday to Friday from 8.30 am to 5 pm.